Number of hires for this role
Full Job Description
With direction from the Terminal Manager, Assistant Terminal Manger, and Dispatch Supervisor, a Dispatcher is a full-time, hourly position responsible for ensuring the daily coverage for school bus routes and field trips, answer telephone calls from our customers and the public, communicating changes and instructions to drivers.
- Communicating with schools, parents, drivers and aides; Answers telephone inquiries and communicates on two-way radio.
- Ensure employees report to work as scheduled and complete and file paperwork.
- Ensure all vehicles are staffed for the day; assigns substitute drivers, as needed; plans, schedules and assigns drivers for special transportation, including field trips, athletic events, public charters etc.
- Observe and track route timing; Assist in developing routes, busloads, bus stops and schedules when necessary
- Read and follow established School District contracts.
- Report concerns, violations or issues to the Operations Manager or Supervisor
- Keep records and submit reports; Including maintenance records of mileage, gas consumption, and other related data; daily vehicle inspection and buses are cleaned daily as required by law;
- Assist the shop in scheduling maintenance and repair of vehicles, coding invoices and record keeping;
- Be on-call for emergencies and weekends as needed; drive a bus as needed
- Work closely with Operations, Safety, Training and Fleet Maintenance departments.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent Customer Service Skills and Interpersonal Skills
- Intermediate Computer skills including entire Microsoft office suite
- Ability to learn new skills, systems and software
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Thrive in a fast-past environment
Experience and Education
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- At least 1 year experience in Customer Service position
- Valid CDL or ability and willingness to obtain one within 90 days of employment.
Student Transportation of America, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population (Minority/Female/Disable/Veterans).
The duties listed above are intended as illustrations of the types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific job duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This job description is not an employment contract and is subject to change as the needs of the company and the requirements of the job change.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- One location
Spire is seeking a Dispatcher to work in the St. Louis operation for the 3:30pm – 11:30pm shift. This position will be responsible for dispatching emergency and non-emergency orders to operations personnel in a prompt and efficient manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive and respond to a variety of emergency and non-emergency calls in such a way to facilitate the shortest possible response time.
- Provide gas safe policy instructions on emergency calls.
- Monitor and operate a virtual phone application.
- Ask vital questions to gain a clear understanding of the caller’s situation as to resolve the issue, provide information and dispatcher emergency services.
- Utilize effective written and verbal communication skills to relay pertinent information to emergency services by way of phone and special instructions on field activities.
- Notify various operations departments of specific situations in accordance with a Central Dispatching Notification schedule.
- Develop and maintain cooperative and professional relationships with fellow employees, representatives from other departments and Supervisors.
- Work spike meter reading report.
- Use sound judgment and decision-making skills to evaluate situations, establish priorities, and obtain efficient, safe and quality resolutions.
- All other duties as assigned
Essential Characteristics and Competencies
- Ability to lead by example in support of the Company’s essential characteristics and values: strong ethics and integrity, dedication to a safe work environment, commitment to a diverse workforce that recognizes and respects every individual’s unique skills and perspectives
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to adapt in a fast-moving and changing culture
- Strong interpersonal skills with the proven ability to build and establish rapport with a diverse array of people
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively in order to meet individual goals and deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team and display a positive attitude for this dynamic environment
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and operate as a team player to meet shared goals.
Required Education (certifications, licenses)
- High school diploma/GED
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Required knowledge, skill and abilities
- Previous dispatching experience preferred
- Experience with Viryanet ServiceHub or G4 preferred
- Experience with CC&B preferred
Physical demands, environment and schedule
- 3:30pm – 11:30pm shift (Weekend & Holiday Rotation)
- Normal Office Work Environment
- Overtime may be required
Full Job Description
Now Hiring a Dispatcher
At First Student, our Dispatchers are a constant reflection of our company’s commitment to safety and customer service. The Dispatcher is responsible for dispatching all buses, ensuring on-time performance of routes, and counseling drivers and monitors on front line.
At First Student, we are proud to offer:
- Tremendous Career Advancement Opportunities due to a strong presence across North America
- Positive and rewarding work environment
- Oversees all routes and scheduling of buses
- Counsels and coaches drivers and monitors
- Handles heavy phone and radio traffic
- Takes all scheduling and driver complaints, report to Operations Supervisor/Contract Manager
- Serves as primary communication liaison with major contracted customer
- May handle charter reservations, billing, or driver payroll
- Provides solutions to drop-off and pick-up problems
- Handle back-up driver duties or perform miscellaneous clerical duties as needed
- Completes assignment of special projects
- Assists with supervision of day-to-day operations
Dispatcher Experience and Skills Required:
- 3-5 years experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Basic knowledge of radio dispatch equipment
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Ability to deliver under time constraints and deadlines
- Previous terminal operations, dispatch, or driver experience
- Computer literate